We list here only one-way ship repositioning Panama Canal cruises 2018, 2019 and 2020 schedule of transition itineraries offered in Spring and Fall. You can compare here all Panama Canal cruise ships as destinations, departure ports and sailing dates. Learn how to discern the regular one-way Panama Canal transition cruises from the authentic, cheap repositioning cruises through Panama Canal operated seasonally with discount cheap deals.
Panama Canal Repositioning Cruises
When talking about repositioning cruises through Panama Canal, the predicament here is that most Panama Canal transition cruises are full transits (crossings with one-way itineraries). Panama Canal cruise ships are usually leaving either from Florida or California ports. Transition sailings usually last for about 2-weeks.
Panama Canal cruise ships relocation
These are two special “Panama Canal ship relocation” hints for you (serving almost like shortcuts): the always funny one is “follow the money”, and the not so funny one is “mind the season”.
- Destination. Panama Canal cruise relocation is very often in the category of long Coast to Coast voyages (Florida-California and California-Florida, and New York to California and California to New York). And some itineraries start in South America to end in Florida, Boston or NYC, New York (and the reverse).
- Season. It all happens in Spring (April and May) and Fall (September) when all Panama Canal repositioning ships relocate (to and from) Alaska according to their summer Alaskan season schedule. Repositioning cruises on ships passing through Panama Canal with itineraries to/from South America usually start in some of the Winter months.
As to the money part, you’ll know the Panama Canal reposition cruises by their tickets prices. Deals will vary greatly (depending on line, ship and cabin category), but always with pleasantly low rates which could be easily defined as “top-luxury inexpensive to really really cheap”.
Panama Canal cruise transition – facts and statistics
- Total length of the Panama Canal is 77,1 km (48 ml).
- Locks size. Panama Canal’s lock chambers determine the max size of a ship to be able to pass through. Most cruise ships are built to the max lock size allowed (Panamax ships). Larger size ships belong to the group of Post-Panamax ships. The length of each lock is 320 m (1,050 ft), their walls thickness range from bottom (15 m / 49 ft) to top (3 m / 9,8 ft).
- The longest ship transiting the Panama Canal was a bulk-carrier – length 296,6 m (973 ft), width 32,3 m (106 ft).
- Draft restrictions (max 12,6 m / 41,2 ft). Since draft is determined by the ship’s weight, Panamax ships (able to pass through the canal) have cargo weight restrictions to ~52,500 t.
- Panama Canal cruise ship transition tolls are based on the ship’s size (vessel type and cargo type for freighter ships). Cruise ships through Panama Canal pay rates based on their passenger capacity (number of berths/beds). The current Panama Canal cruise ship fee (for bigger ships) is US$92 for unoccupied and US$115 for occupied bed. Panama Canal cruise ships of less than 30,000 t or less than 33 t per passenger are charged as the same per-ton fees as cargo ships. These tolls are (in USD) $3,90 per ton (first 10000 t), US$3,19 pt (second 10000 t), US$3,82 pt (third 10000 t) and US$3,76 pt thereafter.
- The most expensive Panama Canal cruise ship transition toll was charged to the NCL Pearl cruise ship on its westbound repositioning cruise in Spring 2010 (passing on April 14th). NCL Pearl paid US$375,600 (for comparison, the average fee is ~US$55,000).
- There are also priority passing fees – the highest was paid in 2006 (US$220,300) by a tanker ship bypassing 90 other ships waiting to move through the canal. The cargo ship avoided a 7-days delay by paying the regular toll 16 times (the normal fee was only US$13,400).
These are two Panama Canal related links. For all things Panama-related – the Republic of Panama official website VisitPanama.com. For all history-technology-facts stuff – see this Wikipedia link. For details on itinerary and to compare prices (indicative rates) follow the line-links from the table below.
Repositioning Panama Canal cruises 2018-2019-2020 schedule
|Cruise lines / ships||Spring 2019-2020 Summer||Fall 2018-2019 Winter|
|AIDA Cruises & TUI Cruises (Mein Schiff)|
|Carnival Cruise Lines|
|Carnival Miracle||2020 Feb 1 – 13day from San Diego to Miami)||2019 Sept 29 – 13day from Tampa to Los Angeles)|
|Celebrity Infinity||–||2018 Sept 9 – 15day from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale)
2019 Jul 3 – 18day from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale)
|Queen Victoria||2019 Jan 21 – 16day from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco
2020 Feb 29 – 17day from San Antonio to Fort Lauderdale)
|Disney Cruise Lines|
2019 Feb 24 – 14day from Port Canaveral to San Diego)
|2018 Oct 19 – 14day from San Diego to Galveston)
2019 Nov 8 – 14day from San Diego to Galveston)
|Fred Olsen Cruise Line|
|Holland America Line|
2019 May 16 – 17day from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver)
2020 May 12 – 15day from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego)
2020 Feb 16 – 14day from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego)
2019 Nov 16 – 15day from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale)
|Nieuw Amsterdam||2019 Mar 3 – 14day from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego)
2019 Sept 28 – 21day from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale)
2019 Oct 3 – 16day from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale)
|2018 Oct 3 – 18day from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale)|
|Oosterdam||2019 Apr 13 – 17day from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego)||–|
|Volendam||2019 Apr 18 – 17day from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco)||2018 Sept 26 – 23day from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale)
2019 Sept 25 – 23day from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale)
|Zaandam||2020 Mar 21 – 20day from San Antonio to Fort Lauderdale)||2019 Oct 16 – 17day from Fort Lauderdale to San Antonio)|
|NCL Norwegian Cruise Lines|
|Norwegian Bliss||2019 Mar 30 – 15day from Miami to Los Angeles)||2018 Nov 3 – 14day from Los Angeles to Miami)
2019 Nov 3 – 21day from Los Angeles to New York)
|Norwegian Dawn||–||2019 Nov 9 – 15day from New York to Tampa)|
|Norwegian Pearl||2018 Oct 21 – 14day from San Diego to Tampa)||2018 Oct 20 – 15day from Los Angeles to Tampa)|
|Norwegian Star||–||2018 Nov 30 – 14day from Miami to Los Angeles)|
|P&O Cruises (UK, Australia)|
2020 Jan 3 – 25day Transatlantic-Panama Canal (Southampton to San Francisco)
2020 Apr 6 – 15day from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles)
|2018 Dec 7 – 15day from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale)
2018 Dec 22 – 15day from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles)
2019 Oct 18 – 15day from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale)
|Emerald Princess||2019 Apr 18 – 15day from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale)
2019 Nov 18 – 15day from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles)
|Island Princess||2019 Apr 9 – 15day from Fort Lauderdale to LA)
2020 Mar 27 – 15day from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles)
|2018 Sept 26 – 15day from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale)
2019 Sept 22 – 15day from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale)
|Pacific Princess||2019 Jan 5 – 15day from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles)
2020 Jan 5 – 15day from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles)
|Sea Princess||2019 Jul 21 – 38day from New York to Sydney)||–|
|Pullmantur Cruises (Royal Caribbean Spain)|
|Royal Caribbean International|
|Vision Of The Seas||–||2018 Nov 13 – 16day from Miami to Los Angeles)
2018 Nov 29 – 16day from Los Angeles to New Orleans)
2019 Oct 14 – 16day from Miami to Los Angeles)
2019 Dec 1 – 15day from Los Angeles to San Juan)
|Viking Ocean Cruises|
|Marella Cruises (Thomson UK)|
Small and Luxury cruise lines ship relocation
|(Cruise And Maritime Voyages / CMV) Magellan||2019 Jan 10 – 11day from Cozumel to Puerto Caldera)
2019 Mar 31 – 10day from Acapulco to Cozumel)
|(Phoenix Reisen) Amadea||
2019 Apr 6 – 22day from Acapulco to Miami)
2020 Mar 2 – 26day from San Francisco to Miami)
|(Phoenix Reisen) Albatros||–||2018 Dec 19 – 27day Transatlantic-Panama Canal (Hamburg to Callao-Lima Peru)|
2019 Dec 19 – 17day from Miami to Los Angeles)
2020 Mar 23 – 13day from Callao/Lima) to Miami)
|2018 Nov 20 – 11day from Miami to Callao/Lima)|
2020 Jan 8 – 18day from Miami to San Francisco)
2020 Jul 5 – 20day from San Francisco to New York City)
|Oceania Marina||2020 Jan 4 – 18day from San Antonio to Miami)|
2019 Apr 1 – 16day from Los Angeles to Miami)
2019 May 1 – 18day from Miami to San Francisco)
|2018 Oct 8 – 18-day from San Francisco to Miami)
2018 Oct 26 – 16day from Miami to Los Angeles)
2019 Sept 24 – 20day from Seattle to Miami)
2019 Oct 14 – 18day from Miami to San Francisco)
|Seabourn Quest||–||2018 Nov 4 – 15day from Miami to Callao)
2019 Nov 6 – 22day from Miami to San Antonio)
Know that with time prices on Panama Canal repositioning cruise deals usually go down with time. Still, the economic law of “Supply And Demand” will always rule – cruise lines will price their deals and cabin categories accordingly. So good luck with those, and happy Panama Canal “reposition” vacations!